About the Zoo
The Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts. We have over 6,000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education! There are over 2 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment. Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well being of our residents and guests.
The Houston Zoo connects communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
The Houston Zoo will be a leader in the global movement to save wildlife.
- Be a Zoo for all.
- Provide exemplary animal care, assuring outstanding animal welfare.
- Provide engaging animal experiences.
- Deliver a smart, fun, inspiring guest experience.
- Be the leading environmental education resource in Texas.
- Inspire broad community support and collaborations.
- Change behaviors to help protect wildlife.
- Create a workplace culture that embodies respect, empowerment, teamwork, and personal development.
- Employ best business practices and sound financial management.
- Ensure safety for guests, staff and the animals in our care.
- Operate sustainably; set an example for others.
Information for DonorsIRS Form 990 2016 Financial Statements 2016 Annual Report
Board of Directors
E. William Barnett (Director Emeritus)
Anne Duncan (Director Emeritus)
Robert (Bob) Edwards
Kathleen “Kat” Gallagher
Dr. Amy C. Garrou
Dr. Cullen Geiselman
Stacy Methvin (Chair)
Suzanne Nimocks (Immediate Past Chair)
Macey Reasoner Stokes
Randa Duncan Williams
Contacting the Houston Zoo
Main Phone: 713-533-6500
- Lee Ehmke, Chief Executive Officer
- Sheryl Kolasinski, Chief Operating Officer
- Leslie Forestier, Chief Financial Officer
- Lisa Marie Avendano, Vice President of Animal Operations
- Peter Riger, Vice President of Wildlife Conservation
- Nick Espinosa, Vice President of Development
- Kristin Finney, Vice President of Human Resources